Seven Years On, Subansiri Bridge Still Incomplete

Normal life was affected in parts of Upper Subansiri district on Monday following a 12-hour bandh called by the Upper Subansiri district unit of the Frontier Highway Committee over the prolonged delay in completing the Subansiri bridge.

Most shops in Daporijo and Dumporijo towns remained closed during the bandh, while only a limited number of vehicles were seen on the roads. The shutdown affected regular commercial activities and movement in the two towns.

The Frontier Highway Committee said seven years had passed since construction of the Subansiri bridge began, but the project was still incomplete. The delay, it said, had caused considerable inconvenience to commuters who depend on the route for regular movement.

According to the committee, the construction company had earlier given an undertaking before the district administration and other stakeholders that the bridge would be completed within 100 working days. However, the committee alleged that the promised deadline had passed without the work being completed.

The organisation also raised concerns over the quality of construction. It alleged that the work being carried out on the bridge, which forms part of the Trans-Arunachal Highway, was not meeting the required construction standards.

The committee said the repeated delay and concerns over the quality of work had left it with no option but to call the bandh to draw the government’s attention to the issue.

The 12-hour shutdown was intended to register a strong protest against the prolonged delay and press for early completion of the bridge.

The Subansiri bridge is an important part of the road network in the area, and its incomplete status has continued to create difficulties for commuters and other road users. The committee has called for the authorities to take the matter seriously and ensure that the project is completed without further delay.

By Sonakshi Sarkar